Growing Threat to Our Region’s Eye Sight
Age and diabetes are the most common causes of deteriorating eye sight, resulting in macular degeneration, diabetic eye disease and glaucoma.
- Erie County has one of the highest rates of diabetes in the country (40% higher than average). Approximately 90% of older diabetics have some vision loss.
- Erie County has one of the oldest populations in the U.S. (25% older than average).
- Baby boomers are aging and the overall life expectancy is increasing.
- Between 1990 and 2025, the number of those aged 65+ will increase six-fold.
- For those aged 65+, 21% have severe visual impairment, even when wearing glasses.
- Approximately 10,000 people in Erie County have severe vision problems.